When you open Settings and check for updates on your Windows 10 computer, error 0x80070422 appears. Here is the full error message:
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)
The full description for error code
0x80070422 is The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
The error message above is self-explanatory. All you need to do is to start the Windows Update service (
Fix: Windows Update Error 0x80070422 in Windows 10
To fix the problem, start the Windows Update service.
- Launch the Services MMC (
- Double-click Windows Update
- Set its startup type to Manual
- In the Log On tab, select Local System account.
- Switch to the General tab, and click Apply
- Click Start to start the Windows Update service.
You can also change the Windows Update service Start type using Command Prompt or the Registry Editor.
Using Command Prompt
- Open admin Command Prompt and execute the following command:
sc config wuauserv start= demand
This sets the Windows Update start type to Manual.
Access Denied when changing the Windows Update service Start type
If you receive Access Denied error when changing the Windows Update service Start type, then use the Registry Editor to change the the Start type manually.
- Start the Registry Editor (
- Go to the following branch:
- Double-click the DWORD value named Start and set its data to
Service Startup types and the Start registry value: 0x00000002 means Automatic start 0x00000003 means Manual start (a.k.a Demand start) 0x00000004 means Disabled
- Exit the Registry Editor
- Restart Windows.
Can’t update the WU service startup type in Registry Editor?
If you receive Access Denied error (again) when updating the registry value using the Registry Editor, first try resetting the Windows Update service registry key permissions to default.
- Download RegASSASSIN from Malwarebytes and run it.
- Input the following registry key:
- In RegASSASSIN, don’t forget to UNCHECK the Delete registry key and all subkeys checkbox before clicking on the Delete button.
- Click Yes when prompted for confirmation.
- Now, see if you can change the Windows Update service Startup type using the Services MMC or Command Prompt.
Fix 2: Disable IPv6 temporarily
If the Windows Update service is already running and yet the error 0x80070422 occurs, disable IPv6 temporarily using these steps:
- Right-click Start, click Run
ncpa.cpland press ENTER
- Right-click on your internet connection and then select Properties.
- In the list of items, uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Click OK and restart the computer.
- After installing the update(s), re-enable IPv6.
This should fix the Windows Update error
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and he has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for 10 consecutive years from 2003 to 2012.