When you open Settings and check for updates on your Windows 10 computer, the error 0x80070422 appears. Here is the full error message:
There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)
The full description for error code
0x80070422 is The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
The error message above is self-explanatory. All you need to do is to start the Windows Update service (
How to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80070422
To resolve the error 0x80070422, start the Windows Update service.
Option 1: Using Services MMC
- Launch the Services MMC (
- Double-click Windows Update
- Set its startup type to Manual
- In the Log On tab, select Local System account.
- Switch to the General tab, and click Apply
- Click Start to start the Windows Update service.
You can also change the Windows Update service Start type using Command Prompt or the Registry Editor.
Option 2: Using Command Prompt
Alternately, you can set the Windows Update service start type using Command Prompt.
Open admin Command Prompt and execute the following command:
sc config wuauserv start= demand
This sets the Windows Update start type to Manual.
Option 3: Using the Windows Registry
You can also use the Registry Editor to change the Windows Update service’s Start type manually.
- Start the Registry Editor (
- Go to the following branch:
- Double-click the DWORD value named Start and set its data to
Service Startup types and the Start registry value: 0x00000002 means Automatic start 0x00000003 means Manual start (a.k.a demand start) 0x00000004 means Disabled
- Exit the Registry Editor
- Restart Windows for the change to take effect.
Access Denied when changing the Windows Update service Start type
If you receive the Access Denied error when changing the Windows Update service Start type via the registry or Command Prompt, then do one of the following:
Option 2: Take ownership of the Windows Update service registry key mentioned below, and assign the necessary permissions.
For more information on taking ownership of a registry key and assign the permissions, check out the article Take Ownership of a Registry Key And Assign Full Permissions.
Alternately, you can do the same using SetACL.exe console tool. For more information, check out the article Take Ownership of Registry Key & Assign Permissions Using Command-line
Now, see if you can change the Windows Update service Startup type using the Services MMC or Command Prompt.
Still does not help? Follow the next method.
Disable IPv6 temporarily
If the Windows Update service is already running and yet the error
0x80070422 occurs, disable IPv6 temporarily using these steps:
- Right-click Start, click Run
ncpa.cpland press ENTER
- Right-click on your internet connection and then select Properties.
- In the list of items, uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Click OK and restart the computer.
- After installing the update(s), re-enable IPv6.
This should fix the Windows Update error
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!