Microsoft software downloads page offers you the Media Creation Tool (MCT) which can be used to upgrade Windows 10, download Windows 10 ISO locally or create a USB installation drive. MCT is the officially recommended way to get a copy of the latest Windows 10 ISO.
Though MCT is the only advertised way to get the Windows 10 ISO, there is another way to download the ISO directly; this post describes how.
Download Windows 10 ISO Directly Without Media Creation Tool
By changing your web browser’s UserAgent (to mimic a mobile or tablet), the Microsoft’s Windows 10 download page can be made to reveal the direct download links for Windows 10 ISO for both x86 and x64 versions.
A web browser uses user agent string to tell the website information about the browser and operating system. This allows the website to customize (dynamic) content for the capabilities of a particular device. For instance, a website may automatically render a mobile version of its pages if it detects the browing from a mobile or tablet.
Change the “User Agent” in Edge or IE
- Open Microsoft Edge or IE and visit the following Microsoft link:
- Press F12 to open Developer Tools window.
- Select the “Emulation” tab and change the “User agent string” to
Apple Safari (iPad)
Fig 1: Change User agent string in Microsoft Edge
Change the User agent string in Google Chrome
If you’re a Chrome user, here is how to change the browser user agent.
- Open Google Chrome, press F12 to open Developer Tools.
- Click the ellipsis (button with three dots on the top-right of the Dev. Tools window)
- Click “More tools”, and select Network conditions.
- Under “User agent”, uncheck the Select automatically option.
- Select the
Safari – iPad iOS 9from the User agent drop-down list.
Change User agent string in Google Chrome
Windows 10 ISO Direct Download Link(s) are now revealed
The current web page will refresh automatically, rendering content for the chosen user agent or device (iPad). If it doesn’t automatically refresh, refresh the page manually. You’ll now see the “Select Edition” drop-down box.
- Select Windows 10 from the drop-down, and click Confirm. The Windows 10 ISO will include both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.
- Select the product language from the drop-down list, and click Confirm.
- You’ll see the download button for Windows 10 64-bit as well as Windows 10 32-bit ISO. The download URLs will automatically expire after 24 hrs. Click on the link to download it, or if you want to share the URL with someone, right-click on the link and copy the target URL.
Fall Creators Update is the latest version as of this post, and here are the ISO file sizes.
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update ISO file sizes.
- x64 Fall Creators Update ISO file size is
- x86 Fall Creators Update ISO file size is
That’s how you download the Windows 10 ISO directly without using the Media Creation Tool.
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and has a vast experience in the ITeS industry — delivering support for Microsoft's consumer products. He has been a Microsoft MVP [2003 to 2012] who contributes to various Windows support forums.