[Fix] Error 0x80070424 in Windows Update and Microsoft Store

When you attempt to check for updates from the Windows Update settings page, error 0x80070424 may appear.

Error encountered
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help (0x80070424)

windows update error  0x80070424

The same error appears when you try to install a standalone Windows Update package (.msu). Full error message is mentioned below:

Windows Update Standalone Installer
Installer encountered an error: 0x80070424
The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

windows update installer error  0x80070424

Additionally, installing or updating apps from Microsoft Store also causes 0x80070424. Here is the full error message:

Something unexpected happened

Reporting this problem will help us understand it better. You can
wait a bit and try again or restart your device. That may help.

Code: 0x80070424

windows store error  0x80070424

Also, running the command SC QC WUAUSERV (to query the Windows Update service status) from Command Prompt returns the error [SC] OpenService FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

windows update service missing 0x80070424

When you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix Windows Update errors, you may see the following message:

Service registration is missing or corrupt

and the troubleshooting status reported as Not fixed

windows update service registration missing - troubleshooter

What causes error 0x80070424 in Windows Update and Microsoft Store?

Error code 0x80070424 denotes The specified service does not exist as an installed service. This can be evident as when you open the Services console (services.msc), the Windows Update service or the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service may be missing from the list.
windows update service missing in the list

Solution: Error 0x80070424 in Windows Update and Microsoft Store

To fix the error 0x80070424, restore the Windows Update service registry keys using the following steps [for Windows 10].

1. Download w10-wuauserv.zip, unzip and extract the contents to a folder
  2. Run the file w10-wuauserv.reg and click Yes when asked for confirmation.

The registry file restores the Windows Update service registry key (wuauserv) located in the following registry branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv

wuauserv - Windows Update service registry keys

3. After running the REG file, restart Windows.

When you open the Services console (services.msc) after restarting Windows, the Windows Update service should be listed and status shown as running.

Is Background Intelligent Transfer Service missing in Services MMC?

In case the Background Intelligent Transfer Service service is missing in the list of services, run the w10-bits.reg file (included in the above .zip file) and restart Windows.

tips bulb iconIf you encounter any other Windows Update errors on your system, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Check out the article Fix Windows Update Errors in Windows 10 [Troubleshooting] for details.

That’s it! The above steps should help you resolve Windows Update error code 0x80070424 on your Windows computer.

One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?

One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
  • Pin it!
  • Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
  • Tweet it!
So thank you so much for your support, my reader. It won't take more than 10 seconds of your time. The share buttons are right below. :)

About the author

Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and he has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for 10 consecutive years from 2003 to 2012.

114 thoughts on “[Fix] Error 0x80070424 in Windows Update and Microsoft Store”

• Sorry to say bro,But it’s not working with me I tried it Still giving same error… shall i reinstall my windows 10 ,Will it work ?

1. No lie this actually worked haha I was for sure this was going to be a virus. Thank you so much, finally after 2 days of watching useless Youtube videos this has fixed it!

• I cannot believe this actually worked. Like you said, I though for sure this would be a virus, but here I am with Windows Store working like a charm.

2. Na .. Did not work for me. Installed wuauserv in reg.. Restarted windows and went back to reg to check and it was not there any more..

3. I actually tried many ways and read many forums…
    But nothing worked except this one…
    So, many many thanks…

4. Okay, this actually worked.

This was one of the first that I opened and then ignored because I thought the zip file was a virus. After not finding any fixes on other websites, even on microsoft, I said why not, and this actually worked.

A very simple way to fix Error 0x80070424.

Thank you so much!

5. thanks a lot man, the GREAT MICROSOFT could not do which you did…u r above the company bro
    they should hire u
    thanks man really…i am so happy now..i got a bunch of updates now…haha

6. I am sure a lot of people here are skeptical/paranoid, and I was too, I thought a lot of the comments saying it’s not a virus were lying. Thankfully, I was wrong, and this fix worked flawlessly!
    Thank you so very much!!!

7. Hey, I did what you said here. But then suddenly, my laptop just keeps crashing into blue screen and says: SYSTEM_SERVICE_SETTING

Can’t seem to find a fix online. I think, it is when it tries to update, it suddenly crashes.

Anyone having the same problem?

8. thank you so much to resolve my problem .. i have tried so methods and commands but none worked . finally got your blog n it worked like a magic . love it

9. I was so freakin skeptical of downloading a file that changed something on my computer. But after several months and many restarts and fixes I felt like I had no choice, and the comments were positive so I thought.. alright here we go.
    Holy moly it worked. I have a lot of updates now which is going to take forever but hey at the end I’ll have a properly functioning computer again! And maybe I can get my video driver to work properly again.

10. oh my god i never thought i could fix it, i just thought this would be another site that does nothing but it actually works, thanks so much

11. Hello,
    I say it in french from France : “merci beaucoup”
    Thanks a lot, you provided the registry file, that’s great.
    I imported it, restarted my machine and…. tada… it turned to work again.
    This saved me hours and hours of research for fixing it.

12. OMG – I have had the problem of deactivated windows for so long. I thought it was about ten other problems before i found this. Thank you so much.

13. OMG OMG. My laptop wasn’t recievingn any updates since August 2019 and I was searching all these months AND DANG, 2020 should have came to fix this HAHAHA. THANK YOU SO MUCH LOTS OF LOVE <33
    [1 JAN 2020]

14. This happened to me after updating Windows. Thanks for this helpful guide
    Nothing like an update to Windows 10 that deletes the service to be able to update my Windows 10.

15. Damn dude, this totally worked! I wasn’t even aware of the windows update service missing from the list in the first place but it’s back and now my updates are up to date!!!

My question is, why the hell did the service disappear in the first place?!!

This is legit the solution I’ve been looking for for awhile now!

16. After doing all above as you said, problem still persists i.e. “There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070424)”, so what should i do now? please help.

17. Thank bro, had tried so many things to resolve this issue, but always failed. Fortunately stumbled across this while looking for solutions ,and it worked like a charm.

18. Oh my GOODNESS!!! I’M IN TEARS! LOL! WOWWW! OVER A YEARRR and all I’ve tried, NOTHING could fix my Win Update and I didn’t DARE reinstalling windows because it’s a ln advanced Alienware system that cam with Win 7 originally, upgraded to 10, I upgraded the HDD to solid state and that took months to figure out as Dell won’t help or support any other than their own HDDs… Anyway, here we are, so many months, over a year later, and so many issues and crashed I’ve been stuck with with the old 1803 windows, or 17xx.. It’s old! Now… Finally, it’ll all get fixed! I cannot believe all I did was apply the one registry entry you supplied, the “wuauserv” one, and rebooted and BOOM!!! NO it didn’t explode, it’s UPDATING! GOD BLESS YOU FOR EVER!
    Should I even do the “bits” reg key application? I should re-read in case I missed what it does specifically.

Thank You again so much! Wow! Hahaha!!! :))))) I am so happy!

19. It did work. But as soon as I updated the windows, i started getting Blue screen of Death just after system bootup. I am unable to access anything as BSOD occurs within few seconds of system bootup.

20. No .. It did not work for me. Installed wuauserv in reg.. Restarted windows and went back to reg to check and it wasn’t there ,can someone help me out ?

21. A really very very BIG thanks…!
    ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Worked for me…! A very old headache gone finally…!

22. Thank you so much! At first I thought it didn’t work but upon checking on the Services, I needed to manually turn on the Windows Update Services – then changed it to Automatic. It’s now downloading updates.

23. The first time, I tried this (instead of restarting I shut down and turned on my pc), it didn’t work (windows update service is still not present).

The second time, I opened the registry file again and then properly restarted. Now my windows store and updates are properly working.(windows update service is now visible)

Thanks a lot for this info