The Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth. If the service is disabled, then any applications that depend on BITS, such as Windows Update, will be unable to automatically download programs and other information.
If the BITS service is missing in the Services MMC console in Windows 10/11, use the registry fix in this article to restore it.
How to Restore Missing BITS Service in Windows 10/11
To restore the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service in Windows 10/11 computer, follow these steps:
- Download bits_service.zip and extract the contents (
BITS-windows-11.reg) to a folder.
- Double-click the appropriate registry file applicable to your OS (Windows 10 or Windows 11).
- Click Yes to apply the settings to the registry.
- Restart Windows for the BITS service to get registered correctly.
(Note that the registry files have been extracted from computers running Windows 11 Version 21H2 OS Build 10.0.22000.708 and Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS Build 10.0.19044.1706.)
The BITS service registry key is located at:
By default, the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service is set to Manual start.
- Windows 10 Default Services Configuration and Permissions
- Windows 11 Default Services Configuration and Permissions
I hope the above registry fix has restored the missing BITS service to the Services console in your Windows 10/11 device.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!