Mozilla Firefox®, Portable Edition is the popular Mozilla Firefox web browser bundled with a PortableApps.com Launcher as a portable app, so you can take your bookmarks, extensions and saved passwords with you. We saw how to set Firefox Portable as the default Web browser in Windows XP. Here is a tool which can register Mozilla Firefox Portable Edition with the Default Programs tool in Windows 7/Vista.

Register Firefox Portable with Default Programs

1. Download registerfp.zip and save to Desktop.

2. Unzip the archive and extract the contents to a folder.

3. Double-click the file RegisterFirefoxPortable.exe to run it

4. When you see the User Account Control dialog, click Allow

5. Click the Browse button and locate the Firefox Portable executable

6. Click Register

Editor’s note: If the drive letter for your removable device (which contains Firefox Portable) changes, you’ll need to re-register the program using this utility.

1. Michael
    said this on Saturday, December 13th 2014 7:12 pm

It works on Windows 8.1 too.

2. Howard
    said this on Thursday, August 7th 2014 12:36 pm

It does not work correctly because essentially it doesn’t really set it as the “Default Browser”. When it does is only associating those files and protocols with ffp.

What it should have done is instead associate ffp with htmlfile, http, and https in classes registry.

3. bud
    said this on Monday, July 14th 2014 11:52 pm

registerfp.zip did work, but the minute I open crappy chrome it makes itself the default browser

4. RubbaNoze
    said this on Thursday, October 3rd 2013 6:55 pm

I have used FF for almost a decade now, and got used to browse with my session saved – tabs, windows, and tab groups. And I would never use my main browser with facebook for example, because of tracking etc.
    Also, it becomes annoying if you just want to open 1 link you got sent via instant messaging etc., in which case I use a installation of Firefox Portable, but had to start it manually before. Also, program installations and updates like to open the default browser unasked.
    Your little tool fixed that for me, thank you very much! :)

5. Pablo Yunier
    said this on Sunday, April 21st 2013 7:30 am

Hi, this is great app. Please can you do the same from Thunderbird Portable.

Thank You!!

PD: Sorry for my English

6. Flo
    said this on Thursday, February 21st 2013 9:43 pm

It doesn’t work when using Outlook 2013 when I try clicking on a link in a mail to be opened with FFportable on W8.
    It still says “Your organization’s policies are preventing us from completing this action for you.”