Today I accidentally stumbled upon a hidden gem in Windows 10, a registry setting that activates high transparency for the Taskbar. It’s the UseOLEDTaskbarTransparency registry value that does the magic.
Update: This registry edit works in Windows 10 version 1903 and earlier. It doesn’t seem to work if you have v1909, 2004, or higher installed. In Windows 10 1909, 2004 and higher, you may try TranslucentTB or a similar third-party utility.
Make the Taskbar Fully Transparent
- Click Start, type
regedit.exe, and go to:
- Create a new DWORD (32-bit) value named
UseOLEDTaskbarTransparencyand set its value data to 1
- Go to the following branch:
- Create a DWORD (32-bit) value named
- Set the data for
- Exit the Registry Editor.
- Right-click Desktop, click Personalize
- Click Color, and enable the Transparency effects.
- Also, enable these options:
- Automatically pick an accent color from my background
- Show accent color on: Start, taskbar, action center
- Show accent color on: Title bars and window borders
Note: If they’re already enabled, turn off one of the three settings and then toggle it back on. This is done in order to apply the above registry edit without requiring to restart the Shell.
Download Registry File for this setting – W10-OLED-Taskbar-Transparency.zip
The high transparency taskbar mode (OLED) is activated. Here are some screenshots, before and after applying the registry setting:
In the background is the lovely Beauty of Britain theme wallpaper.
While this registry edit doesn’t achieve 100% taskbar transparency, it’s still a super tweak that most users will like for sure. This was first tested in 10586.104, and works just fine in later builds – up to version 1903.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!
4 thoughts on “How to Make the Taskbar Fully Transparent in Windows 10”
It works in build 14279!
Sweet jesus you are Amazing my friend WinHelpOnline Blog!!!!!!!!!
Working for Win 10 Home, 64bit….6 week old stupid new laptop.
Is there a similar hack for Start Menu & Action Center?