Over time, many invalid or obsolete taskbar notification icons may show up in the “Customize notifications” or the “Select which icons appear on the Taskbar” page with invalid or missing icons.
This article describes how to clear the past and current items list in the Customize Notifications dialog in Windows. Information and the script here apply to all versions of Windows, including Windows 10.
How to Clear Customize Notifications Icons in Windows
Option 1: Clearing the Customize Notification icons Using Script
Here is a VBScript (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10) that clears the customize notification icons for you.
- Close all your running programs.
- Download clear-notification-items.zip
- Unzip and run the clear-notification-items.vbs script file. It clears Customize Notifications items, restarts Explorer shell automatically.
Here is how the customize notifications dialog (“Select which icons appear on the Taskbar”) looks like after clearing the obsolete entries.
You can see that the blank icons that appeared on the left, are also fixed. (Compare Snagit icons.)
Option 2: Clearing the Customize Notification icons manually
To clear the Customize Notifications items list manually using the Registry Editor, follow these steps:
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc
- Exit (don’t restart) the Explorer shell cleanly. See instructions for Windows Vista/7, Windows 8 & 10
- At this point, the Taskbar and your desktop icons wouldn’t be visible. From the Task Manager’s File menu, launch the Registry Editor (
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following branch:
- Delete the two values namely IconStreams and PastIconsStream
- Exit the Registry Editor.
- From the Task Manager’s File menu, launch
Explorer.exe. This starts the Windows shell again.
The Windows shell is the graphical user interface for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Its primary elements consist of the desktop, the taskbar, the Start menu.
This clears your customize notification tray icons in the Taskbar.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!