When you open Devices and Printers applet, it may show up as an empty folder although the devices are correctly connected and their drivers are intact. This can be due to several reasons, and the possible causes (with appropriate fixes) are discussed in this post.

We’ve observed that Devices and Printers folder can appear blank if one of these is true:

• Print Spooler Service is not running
  • Bluetooth Support Service is not running
  • Missing DLL registrations.

Use these steps to resolve the problem.

Step 1: Enable the Print Spooler and Bluetooth Support Service

1. Click Start, type services.msc and press {ENTER}
  2. Double-click Print Spooler and set its start type to Automatic
  3. Click Start to start the service, and click OK.
  4. Double-click Bluetooth Support Service and set its start type to Manual
  5. Click Start to start the service, and click OK.
  6. Exit the Services MMC.

Did you get any error messages when enabling the above services? Post it in Comments section of this article.

Open Devices and Printers page to check if the problem persists. You may even try restarting Windows and checking it again.

If the issue continues to occur, proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Registering the DLLs

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command, and press {ENTER}

regsvr32  "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

You should see this message now.

Step 3: Fixing the XML Registration

Download msxml6.zip, unzip the archive and run the enclosed REG file. This should restore the missing MSXML6 DLL registration entries.

Restart Windows and check if Devices and Printers opens correctly.

1. Al Mac
    said this on Monday, September 22nd 2014 6:01 pm

That fixed my problem finally. I had tried the bluetooth fix and it didn’t fix my problem. It wasn’t until I did steps 2 and 3. I got the same error message as Dave J got but restarted my computer and then checked my printer and devices and there they all were again. Finally someone has the fix for this problem

2. Roel Aeissing
    said this on Sunday, September 21st 2014 6:12 pm

still not working

3. Stephen
    said this on Saturday, August 2nd 2014 1:08 am

Thanks alot, it worked and made me the happiest man on earth!!!

4. nick
    said this on Friday, July 11th 2014 8:19 pm

Worked Thanks!!!!!

5. Dexter C.
    said this on Thursday, June 5th 2014 5:14 pm

it didnt work for me… i did all the steps but nothing happened..any idea?please help me up here :'(

6. Dave J
    said this on Friday, May 23rd 2014 9:33 pm

step 1 worked till restart. In step 3 I got an error “cannot import c:\User\pc1\–\msxml6.reg not all data was successfully written to registry. Some keys are open by system or other processes” But found if in step 1 I set Bluetooth support to automatic and now everything works. I could not eject a USB drive with out going to start- computer – ‘right click’ the device and eject. Now that also works. Thanks!!

7. Sebastian Spieker
    said this on Saturday, March 29th 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks a lot! That saved my day.

8. Jerry Pieters
    said this on Wednesday, March 5th 2014 7:20 pm

Works perfect! Thanks!!!

9. Luis Echegollen
    said this on Wednesday, February 26th 2014 4:10 am

In step 2, I got: “The module C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dl failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems withe the binary or dependent .DLL files. The specified module could not be found.