When you run an application built using (classic) Visual Basic 6.0, the following error message may occur, and the program terminates.
Component 'RICHTX32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
Failed to load control 'RichTextBox' from RICHTX32.OCX
This happens if the program uses Rich TextBox ActiveX Control (RichTx32.ocx), but does not include the ActiveX file in the setup package. This runtime is not included in Windows and is supposed to be distributed along with the program. And, RichTx32.ocx ActiveX Control is not included in VB6 run-time distribution package from Microsoft either.
You may download it here: RichTx32.zip. Unzip the archive and extract the file RichTx32.ocx to one of these folders:
- On Windows 32-bit systems, copy RichTx32.ocx to
- On Windows 64-bit systems, copy RichTx32.ocx to
RICHTX32.OCX – File Information
- Signing date: 7:57 PM 11/25/2013
- Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
- Company: Microsoft Corporation
- Description: RichTx32.OCX
- Product: RichText
- Prod version: 6.01.9839
- File version: 6.01.9839
- MachineType: 32-bit
- MD5: 14bb5cf93c7d69d019423c73c60aa856
- SHA1: 6454bb10992eefc59563a73729a8927c6383669b
- SHA256: 221b54ad16161b8ce71807b07559ab49f59dfff4cdf695e808d90bf8beaafcf5
(DLL Source: Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Security Rollup Update January 2016.)
This file is also available from IBM’s servers. The link is provided below:
Register the OCX
You may also need to register the RichTx32.ocx module using the following command from Command Prompt (admin).
For Windows 32-bit OS
For Windows 64-bit OS
You should see the message DllRegisterServer in C:\WINDOWS\system32\RICHTX32.OCX succeeded. after running the above command.
(Last updated on Jan 14, 2022.)
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!