OpenWithAdd 1.2 – Supports Windows Vista

When you right-click a file and choose Open With, and click the Choose Program… option, the list of registered applications are displayed in the Open With dialog. Programs that are not already listed in the Open With dialog can be added manually using the Browse… option.

OpenWithAdd tool which I wrote, can be helpful in circumstances where, when you browse to locate an application, it does not get added to the Open With dialog. It can now (v1.2 onwards) run under Windows Vista as well. Here are some screenshots:

OpenWithAdd can be downloaded from this link.

1. Todd S.
    said this on Thursday, March 13th 2014 3:07 pm

Works, unbelievable! THANK YOU! Can you please explain why Windows itself fails to register the file in the Browse dialog? How is your application able to do it? Thank you.

2. David
    said this on Tuesday, March 12th 2013 3:42 am

Finally. You’re a genius. Windows is incredibly frustrating. Thank you!!!

3. vernal
    said this on Friday, March 2nd 2012 2:57 am

Superb!!! Thanks a lot. I was getting extremely frustrated ‘cos of this and spent hours in google trying to find a solution. I followed your instructions and solved it in 2 mins. Thank you so much.
    You rock buddy.

4. said this on Thursday, January 19th 2012 3:24 am

Wow, I just spent an hour trying to fix the “Cannot add a program to the Open With dialog in Windows 7 and this program fixed it! Thank you!!

5. Panther
    said this on Saturday, February 26th 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks ;) really good one and very useful

6. bromberg
    said this on Monday, November 29th 2010 1:33 am

Any idea why OPEN WITH worked fine one day and not the next? I’ll use your utility if I have to (BTW, thanks!) but would prefer to correct the problem in Vista.

7. Peter
    said this on Tuesday, September 14th 2010 6:36 am

Couldn’t get image files associated with Photoshop CS5, solved in 3 seconds with this awesome program.
    Thanks :)

8. Lars
    said this on Wednesday, May 5th 2010 2:58 am

A brilliant little program to fix a really annoying problem. I was going nuts trying to associate jpg-files with Photoshop CS4 and then I found this great and simple solution. Thanks a lot!

9. RonM
    said this on Sunday, December 20th 2009 5:24 am

Works within Windows 7 as well… many thanks Ramesh. I’d tried to associate Lightroom using the usual methods but it just wouldn’t register.

Your wee programme did the trick, so well done you!!!