How to Split or Trim Videos Using Windows 10 Photos App?

Windows 10 Photos app lets you trim videos and save the selected portion of the video clip to a new file. You don’t have to rely upon a third-party program, as the Photos app does the task perfectly — suitable for quick trims.

Cut/Trim or Split videos using Photos App in Windows 10

1. Right-click on a video file and click “Open with” and choose Photos.
  2. Click the Trim button at the top.
    cut of trim video clips using windows 10 photos app
  3. In the next screen, select the portion of the video you need, by moving the start and end sliders accordingly.
    Trim videos using Windows 10 Photos app
    Trim videos using Windows 10 Photos app
  4. Save the selected portion of the video to a separate file, by clicking “Save a copy”.

The selected portion is now saved to a video file in the same folder, with the the letters “Trim” added to the file name. If the file name of the original video is Remote_Desktop.mp4, the trimmed copy will be named Remote_DesktopTrim.mp4.

Split a video into multiple clips?

You can use the trim tool to split a big video into a number of small video clips if you want. As the Photos app is suitable for quick trims and is not a sophisticated editor, to split a video into multiple parts you’ll need to repeat this sequence:

1. Open a video, lets say Dogshow.mp4
  2. Split/trim it and save a copy.
  3. Rename the trimmed file accordingly. Eg. rename DogshowTrip.mp4 to Dogshow (Part-1).mp4.
  4. Reopen the original video Dogshow.mp4, choose another time segment and split it — for Part 2.
  5. Repeat the above sequence for subsequent trim or splits: part 3, part 4 and so forth.

Additional Tip: You can annotate videos using the Draw tool. There is no text tool though which is a big disappointment.

One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?

One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
  • Pin it!
  • Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
  • Tweet it!
So thank you so much for your support, my reader. It won't take more than 10 seconds of your time. The share buttons are right below. :)

photos app video annotate
Drawing tools in Photos App

About the author

Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and he has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for 10 consecutive years from 2003 to 2012.

21 thoughts on “How to Split or Trim Videos Using Windows 10 Photos App?”

1. Hello, Ramesh. I have a 30 minute video file I want to edit. I will be deleting some footage, copying other footage several times — copying and pasting if the app allows, as i don’t know, and adding slow-motion to some of it. But I haven’t a clue how to do this, as Microsoft doesn’t have demo-videos showing how. And the ones they do have are not adequate to the task. I loved their Windows Movie Maker software, and I never used the story-line feature, but it isn’t available anymore. H E L P. Thank you for taking the time to answer my concerns.

2. I trimmed a few seconds off a 2 hour video and it’s taking over an hour just saving a copy. Is there a faster way?

3. So odd. The option to save never comes up for me after I select the parameters to trim. Can’t figure this out at all.

4. Thanks – I’m new at trimming and your info was the most helpful and clear. Feeling like a real editor now! Thanks for the concise explanations!

5. I’ve just opened a video with the Photos App. It gave me a “Trim” option in the edits list but nothing else when I opened my video. The video just played and there was an option to save or delete it but no other choices at all. All I want to do is remove some frames at the start and end and one or two in the middle.

6. Me too!!!! Only one white dot on a vertical line at beginning of video (it starts playing soon as you open w/photos in [create/edit in photos]. Hit pause but throws u off on exact start point. Again where is the second “stop” symbol/icon whatever? Took me a couple hrs. first time, can’t remember how I trimmed one months ago, too afraid of losing my video and smashing my Windows, pun intended. I’m downloading a real video tool.

• @Luna: I do see two white dots (sliders) in Windows 10 v1809. Can you post a screenshot from your system?

7. It would help if in the instructions, one would say, Save the video’s in the PHOTO’S Folder so that you are able to edit and save a copy of the trimmed videos.
    Wording works wonders!

8. As the same as everyone else on here it doesn’t work.It goes so far and stops.Windows please sort this trivial problem.

9. Is there a way to remove a segment from the body of a video? I know how to trim from the beginning and end but can we chop out a segment from the middle?

10. Does anyone have a problem with the first second or two of your trim being black? Having a black square with a play button on it doesn’t work for what I’m doing. It’s frustrating.

11. I want to do a simple cut of parts of noise video in a long clip.

I want to CUT IT OUT.

Trim doesnt do it and is useless.

Any solutions or alternatives. Now sure how Microsoft can remove Windows Movie Make and replace it with the current junk.

12. I had a 5 minute dash cam video that was 739 MB. I’ve trimmed it down to 14 seconds, and the trimmed file size is 1.22 GB! What the hell is going on?

13. I have the same problem as several others here. I have selected a small section of a long video and I only want to cut and save as this small section. The TRIM screen has no Save As option (my version looks different to the one here).
    I can select done but it doesn’t seem to do anything. And I can copy a split section but I can’t paste it into a new project.
    Very frustrating

14. I have all these problems and others with this nonsense half implemented solution. More time wasted trying to get Microsoft software to work like it should.