When you attempt to run the System File Checker (sfc.exe /scannow command) to restore missing or corrupted system files, the following error message may be seen:

Windows File Protection could not be initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is unavailable.]

This happens if the Windows File Protection (WFP) is disabled in the registry.

Editor’s Note: If you’ve used nLite to build custom Windows installation package, you may have enabled the Disable SFC (File Protection) checkbox, which disables WFP and the System File Checker.

Enable the System File Checker

Use the following steps to re-enable WFP.

1. Click Start, Run. Type Regedit.exe and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

3. Double-click SFCDisable and set its Value data to 0

4. Exit the Registry Editor and restart Windows.

Registry Fix

Download sfcenable.zip and run the attached REG file. Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

1. Grapey100
    said this on Thursday, December 12th 2013 2:04 pm

Excellent! Worked for me.

2. Albert
    said this on Saturday, February 23rd 2013 1:40 pm

i can’t find SFCDisable in my computer…im using windows xp

3. TheTimeRider
    said this on Sunday, September 2nd 2012 7:31 am

POINT OF INFORMATION FOR ALL CONCERNED:

[I know you’re not supposed to post to threads this old, but if my solution helps one person, it should be here, since *I* found this page on a search on this date…]

I discovered (the hard way) that you can’t run SFC in safe mode…..

I finally figured out that while in safe mode the RPC service is NOT running, irregardless of what ‘services.msc’ says. If you can boot into a normal login, you CAN run SFC in am command prompt. Just make sure you have the original Windows CD handy – must be same version (SP3, etc.). Enter the command, then have a bit of patience – it’ll jump back to C:\ and sit there for several seconds before running.

4. Anteaus
    said this on Tuesday, April 17th 2012 3:19 am

Be aware that this registry entry will also activate automatic monitoring and replacement of system files. This is a PITA, and is the reason for turning it off in nLite. Unfortunately I don’t think you can have SFC functionality unless it’s active.

Hope this explains why the guy wasn’t an idiot.

5. said this on Wednesday, February 22nd 2012 9:11 pm

It was already 0, so this didn’t help. I’m trying in safe mode, since XP won’t let administrator log on in normal mode, and if I run sfc in another user with administrator rights, it is rejected too.

6. JohnFromCT
    said this on Friday, September 16th 2011 6:16 am

My installation was created with nLite, but Windows protection was not set to disabled. I hear this is a common error when trying to run SFC in safemode, but I have as of yet to find a solution.

7. said this on Sunday, July 31st 2011 7:43 pm

Wow! When I went to perform this fix, as soon as I opened the last registry directory the screen went blank….

My system is so screwed.

That you for your help, but I think it’s time to let Linux take over.

8. MD
    said this on Monday, July 25th 2011 5:59 pm

I Wasn’t using nLite, but the registry value did fix my issue. Thanks, -md

9. leeuniverse
    said this on Tuesday, October 12th 2010 5:11 am

Thanks, this is the one that actually “fixed” my problem. My XP Pro was I think created using nLite. Wonder what else the idiot did?