On certain Android devices especially Xiaomi devices, WhatsApp messaging application may cause the following error:
However, you may not be able to download new version from Google Play store. WhatsApp has officially announced that the error has something to do with the delivery mechanism and it’s not a bug in the app.
Quoting a WhatsApp spokesperson:
This is an issue that’s being fixed. It was a problem with how our app is distributed, which is not under our control.
The usual fix is to uninstall and reinstall the app, but that causes the entire WhatsApp data to be reset. Here is how to resolve the WhatsApp error without uninstalling and reinstalling it.
Fix: “WhatsApp became obsolete” Error
- Visit the following webpage on your Android smartphone.
- Tap the Download Now button and download the file WhatsApp.apk file to your phone.
- Open “My Files” on your handset. In Device’s Internal Storage, in Downloads, locate and tap WhatsApp.apk and to install the program.
If you’re unable to install the .apk file (as some handsets by default won’t allow installing programs outside the Play Store), follow these steps to allow installing apps from external sources (side-loading of apps).
- Open device settings, and tap Security.
- Enable “Unknown sources” toggle button to allow installation of apps from unknown sources.
After installing the WhatsApp.apk application package, turn the “unknown sources” setting off for security reasons.
This resolves “This Version of WhatsApp became obsolete.” error in WhatsApp.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!