The Favorites menu in Internet Explorer lets you arrange the shortcuts by dragging each shortcut to your preferred location within the Favorites menu. If you use the Import/Export Wizard in Internet Explorer or manually copy the URL favorites to another system, the favorites order is not copied to the target system. This is because Internet Explorer stores the sort order in the registry, and the Import/Export Wizard does not reference the sort order registry key.
In order to have the custom favorites order applied to another computer, export the following registry key from the source computer:
1. Launch Regedit.exe and navigate to the above branch
2. From the File menu, choose Export
3. Save the branch to a REG file (for example: favsort.reg).
4. Transfer this REG file to the target computer.
5. In the target computer, delete the branch:
6. Then double-click the REG file (favsort.reg) in the target system to run it.
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and has a vast experience in the ITeS industry — delivering support for Microsoft's consumer products. He has been a Microsoft MVP [2003 to 2012] who contributes to various Windows support forums.