When you try to install a Feature Update via Windows Update, Error 0x80d02002 may appear on the screen and installation fails abruptly without specifying a reason. For example, the issue may happen when upgrading to Fall Creators Update.
This error may have to do with corrupted Windows Update components, or incompatible software or drivers in your system. Make sure you have the latest versions of your device drivers, and also ensure that the software you use are fully compatible with Windows 10. If you’re unable to determine what’s exactly causing the problem, use these general troubleshooting steps first.
Solution 1: Reset Windows Update Components
Follow these steps to reset the Windows update components manually.
- Open an Command Prompt (Admin).
- On the admin Command Prompt window, type (copy and paste) the commands below one at a time, and press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- Exit the command prompt.
- Restart Windows and then attempt to install the problematic update.
Solution 2: Check the Regional and Language settings
It’s possible that your regional settings are incorrect. For instance, you may have the region set for a different country where you visited earlier, and have forgot to update the setting after returning to your home country.
- Open Settings (WinKey + i)
- Click Time & Language
- Select Region & Language from options on left
- Verify your Country/Region is correct from drop down list
- Ensure the appropriate Language Pack is installed. If it’s in the state of being “available”, click Download and let the system install it from Microsoft servers.
After following the above steps, attempt to install the feature update again via Windows Update. This time Windows Update might tell you the reason why the update installation failed.
In the above case, the Check Point VPN was causing the trouble, as denoted by the Windows Update page.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!