For some strange reason, the Cortana “Ask me anything” search box in the Taskbar may turn white suddenly without even the user clicking on it. This may have to do with Microsoft’s server settings and not a problem with your Windows 10 settings. Also, the search box registry tweak (
WhiteSearchBox registry key) may prove ineffective as it works only for the current login session.
Change Cortana Search Box color from White to Normal
Here is a trick to revert Cortana search box background to the default gray color.
- Click Start, Settings. Click Time & Language, and select Region & Language.
- Change to a country where Cortana is unavailable. For example, select “Yemen” or “Isle of Man”
- Logoff and login back. Cortana search box background would have turned back to the default color.
- Open Region & Language settings again, and revert to the original setting (e.g. to United states)
- Sign out, sign back in. Cortana “Ask me anything” should be back to normal.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!
- Fix: Start Menu Cortana Search Not Finding Apps & White screen
- Windows 10 Start Menu does not work or causes “Critical Error”