When you start the Event Viewer, the following error message may be shown.

Event Log service is unavailable. Verify that the service is running.

Any attempts to start the Event Log service results in the following error:

Windows could not start the Windows Event Log service on Local Computer.
Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.

As the Windows Event Log service isn’t running, starting Task Scheduler results in the following error:

Windows could not start the Task Scheduler service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

This problem was reported by one of our readers via email, and it has been fixed. Service startup error 1079 occurs if the logon account for the service is incorrectly set. Usually this is resolved by fixing the service logon account (via the Log On tab in the Property sheet) via the Services MMC (services.msc)

This can’t be done in case of Windows Event Log, where the Log On tab controls remain grayed out by default.

So, we need to alter the ObjectName registry value in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\eventlog

Start the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to the above branch:

Double-click ObjectName value and set its data as NT AUTHORITY\LocalService {for Windows Vista & Windows 7}

Double-click ObjectName value and set its data as LocalSystem {for Windows XP}

Restart Windows.

Registry Fix

To automate the above setting, download eventlog-svc-fix.zip and run the REG file which is applicable for your Operating System. The zip file includes the REG fixes for Windows XP and Windows 7/Vista. Restart Windows after applying the fix.

1. javier sauceda
    said this on Saturday, June 23rd 2012 9:08 am

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\audiosrv

change key regdword “start” to value 1

2. John
    said this on Thursday, March 29th 2012 8:07 pm

I use this script to fix Audio Service not starting, and RAS service to fix Sonicwall VPN connection issues. This script is like gold!

Now if only I knew what kept replacing the logon information

3. Ric
    said this on Saturday, November 5th 2011 12:08 am

I had a problem with Task Scheduler. I was unable to create a local basic task because access was grayed out. I downloaded the zip file, ran the Win 7 fix, restarted and now I have access.

Additionally, I have had to manually start Windows Audio and all the dependent services (ever since a Microsoft engineer fixed other problems on my ThinkPad a few weeks ago but those issues have been fixed too it seems.

Thank goodness for Windows techies who are willing to share!

4. yorky
    said this on Friday, August 19th 2011 6:24 pm

Troys fix worked for me thanks!

5. said this on Friday, August 19th 2011 9:09 am

The registry fix corrected the event log issue.

6. Mariano
    said this on Friday, March 25th 2011 12:12 am

Thank you very much. It really works. I had a similar problema with the Firewall.

7. Chris
    said this on Wednesday, March 23rd 2011 9:47 pm

I have have the same problem and get the same errors described by Ramesh. I followed the same steps and as happened to Dana, I found the registry setting for the eventlog was already set as described, but I still have the problem.

I still can run Disk Defrag tho. But the errors still there.:(

MY OS is Windows Vista 64bit

What to do next???

8. as
    said this on Sunday, March 20th 2011 12:44 pm

Thank you so much. It working fine!

9. Dana
    said this on Sunday, March 28th 2010 4:38 am

I have the problem described above on my Windows 7 system but when I followed the steps described to fix it, I found the registry setting for the eventlog was already set as described, but I still have the problem.

The problems seem to be spreading, now I can’t run disk defrag or windows update. HELP