File Association Fixes for Windows 7

This page contains the file association fixes for some of the common file types. These fixes are applicable for Windows® 7 systems only.

To fix the association for a particular file type:

1. Download the corresponding fix from the above table. (Use Right-click – Save as option in your browser to download the fixes.)

2. Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

3. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.

For Windows Vista, visit the File association fixes for Windows Vista page.

1. Suli
    said this on Saturday, August 1st 2015 12:02 am

You, my friend have saved my life and annoyance you are a hero :)

2. Yaseen
    said this on Wednesday, June 24th 2015 12:24 pm

Thank You So Very much. i spent 3 days trying numerous fixes and methods and you had and easy fix just laying here. i am forever your devoted fan.

3. Robert Gorsch
    said this on Monday, May 4th 2015 8:19 am

This really helped! I was afflicted by the “Windows Media Center has taken over my computer” syndrome. Actually WMC had substituted its icon for every icon that referred back to an .exe file. Click on the icon and you would get WMC. I used the fix for .exe extension, then rebooted, and all was back to normal. Thanks.

4. said this on Tuesday, April 28th 2015 12:19 am

Some of these do not work on my system.

They are:

I keep getting the message:

“Cannot Import C:\Users\’User Name’\Desktop\****_fix_w7.reg: not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.”

Could you please get back to me on these?

Thank you.

5. Connor
    said this on Monday, March 9th 2015 9:57 pm

thank you so much! I am 12 years old and tried to open a game with explorer.exe to fix it and accidentally made it the default for all .exe files. This has saved my neck as my mother would probably kill me for breaking the PC! I even tried opening command prompt and restarted Explorer.exe to no avail.

Just a big thank you!

6. Rick
    said this on Monday, March 2nd 2015 10:11 pm

Great article; very useful.

I have question, how about one to reset ms-office lnk in the start menu?

7. Ankit
    said this on Tuesday, February 17th 2015 4:18 pm

Thanx a trillian…
    You are a life saver

8. Mon
    said this on Tuesday, February 10th 2015 8:14 am

One good deed deserves another so Im paying it foreward,

@Burkhard Wishemann

Method 1: I would suggest you to unregister and re-register windows installer and check whether it helps. To do so, please follow the steps below:

Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer

a) Click Start, click Run then type cmd in the dialog, and then click Command Prompt.

b) At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:

MSIExec /unregister