Aero Snap is a new feature in Windows 7 wherein the windows will automatically arrange (dock) when moved to the edge of the screen. When you drag a window to the left side of the screen, it will automatically dock to the left side of the screen taking half of the screen space. The same goes for the right side. When dragged to the top of the screen, the window maximizes.

Fig 1: Aero Snap feature: Window being docked to the left side

If you want to disable the automatic arrangement (Aero Snap) feature, use these steps:

1. Click Start, Control Panel

2. Click Ease of Access and click Ease of Access Center

3. Click one of the following options:

• Make the mouse easier to use
  • Make the keyboard easier to use
  • Make it easier to focus on tasks

4. Place a checkmark near the following option:

Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen

5. Click OK, and close the Ease of Access Center

1. transcrypto
    said this on Wednesday, April 2nd 2014 1:51 am

This was exactly what I was looking for. I don’t think the people stating they couldn’t get this to work are actually having this problem. It is very simple. Also, I used two screens and it works fine. I was fooling around with settings a few days ago and couldn’t remember where it was that I made the change. I unchecked it because I love the snap feature. Thanks for the help!!!

2. lou marsh
    said this on Thursday, May 24th 2012 4:17 am

this is like several other sites-worthless. I have been looking to download Aero-snap and i get shuttled to everything but the SNAP download. even Microsoft gives me the run around. I think this is a ruse by advertisers to promote their product

3. brian
    said this on Tuesday, May 22nd 2012 4:12 am

To be honest this didn’t help me at all! I followed the directions that you have and identical directions on another website. I can’t get my window to snap the right or left when i drag it to the edge. When I drag it to the edge it just expands to fill the whole screen. I did find an answer on my computer that made it work and that was that I just had to hit the “windows key” and the right or left arrow on my keyboard at the same time and it worked!

4. RichardLVNB
    said this on Saturday, May 12th 2012 6:10 am

This answers a question I had on a MS Windows help forum. Thanks!

5. said this on Wednesday, March 28th 2012 7:53 pm

I tried to use this and got the two windows up, but when I tried to get the second window to download information needed all I could get was a black screen divided in the center for the left side window. The right side was fine and showed what I needed.

6. dualmonitor
    said this on Tuesday, January 31st 2012 1:48 pm

I did this, but on my dual monitors, if a window is between the two monitors, it still jumps to the first monitor edge if I do anything.

7. virgin1
    said this on Friday, January 13th 2012 11:50 pm

thanks alot! very helpful and well explained!