When you attempt to run a .js (JScript Script File) file, one of the following errors may occur:
Can’t find script engine “JScript” for script “filename.js”.
There is no script engine for file extension “.js”.
This happens if the
.js file association data is missing. Follow these steps to resolve the problem:
Fix .JS file association settings
1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window.
2. Type the following command and press ENTER:
EXIT to close the Command Prompt window.
4. Right-click jscript_fix.reg (zipped), click “Save Target as” or the equivalent option in your browser, and save the REG file to desktop.
5. Unzip the archive, and double-click on the REG file to apply the settings. The REG file applies to all versions of Windows, upto Windows 10.
6. Click Yes when asked for confirmation.
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and he has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for 10 consecutive years from 2003 to 2012.