A Utility to Unassociate File Types in Windows 7 and Vista

Here is a utility that helps you unassociate a file type quickly in your Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer without the need to edit the registry manually. Windows 7 & Vista do not provide a GUI option to unassociate file types, thus the need arises for such a tool below.

Unassociate file types in Windows 7 & Windows Vista

• Download unassoc.zip and save to Desktop
  • Extract the contents to a folder and run the file unassoc.exe
  • Select the file type from the list
  • Click Remove file association (User)

The user-specific association for the chosen file type is now removed from the registry. The system will now use the global file association settings.

More information

CommandDescription
Remove file association (User)Removes the user-specific association (via the Open With dialog) for the chosen file type. Note that this button will remain dimmed if there is no user-specific association for the file type.
Delete file typeDeletes the file type completely from the registry. Both the user-specific and global associations for the chosen file type is removed.
Refresh listRefreshes the list box contents.

1. Nemish
    said this on Tuesday, June 9th 2015 3:28 am

I tried to use this utility on a win7 PC which has a problem opening the MS Security Essentials program (keeps opening the ‘Open With’ dialog) but there is no user asoociated file type for this so no further forward – but can see it is a useful link for many other extensions. Thanks for putting it up.

2. Raj
    said this on Friday, May 22nd 2015 1:36 am

Thank you very much, It worked. You solved my problem.

3. R Butau
    said this on Tuesday, May 19th 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks. It worked well. Each time i wanted to open shortcut MS Word was being launched.

4. Miro
    said this on Friday, May 1st 2015 9:08 pm

Thank you very much. I accidentally associated .lnk files with WordPad, and I’m sure you know what kind of a clustercluck my Start menu became. I don’t know *why* the system asked me to associate .lnk files in the first place, but that’s a whole other bag of beans. This little utility really saved my bacon — thanks!

5. ms laksh
    said this on Saturday, April 25th 2015 8:53 am

Thank you so much..Your website save my life ..hahaha thnx

6. Bev E
    said this on Sunday, March 15th 2015 5:17 am

This solved a problem for me. Thanks very much!

7. Coldbeer
    said this on Tuesday, March 3rd 2015 10:56 pm

Thank you!! I had accidentally associated .lnk files with Adobe, what a mess. No shortcuts would open, all shortcuts in the start menu, taskbar, etc, would not work. In addition, I do not have Admin privileges on this PC. BUT, the program still worked, it let me delete the User association. perfect!!

8. asad
    said this on Saturday, February 28th 2015 10:07 pm

great solution thanks

9. K.D.A
    said this on Sunday, February 22nd 2015 2:57 am

If I had a fraction of the knowledge you have I would be a happy man, have just gone from Windows XP to windows 7 due to end of support, may get a few more years before Microsoft pull the plug on that as well.
    Thanks for a brilliant cure, still not clear in my mind how I got into the problem though.