Q: The speaker icon in the Notification area has a red cross on it. When I hover my mouse over it, it says The audio service is not running. When I right click on the it I get 3 options (Playback devices, Recording devices, Sounds) There is also an open volume mixer option but it’s greyed out.

Solution

1. Click Start, type Services.msc in the Start Search box.

2. Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Audio and select Start.

3. Select Properties for Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to Automatic.

If the Windows Audio service does not start and you get the error Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start, then make sure that the following services are started and their Startup Type is set to Automatic.

• Plug and Play
  • Multimedia Class Scheduler
  • Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

1. Debra
    said this on Tuesday, July 29th 2014 8:15 am

I do have sound , but on certain trailers there is no audio, and I cannot get it going. Any suggestions?

2. Happy to have sound back
    said this on Tuesday, July 23rd 2013 1:04 am

Do what Pete said – working perfectly now!

Thanks

3. pete
    said this on Sunday, June 9th 2013 11:42 pm

When i reached properties for windows audio i chose to also restart the icon below windows audio called ‘windows audio endpoint builder’. this fixed my issue! thanks guys

Windows 8 – HP laptop – 64 bit processor

4. msm
    said this on Thursday, May 23rd 2013 9:55 am

i have the same problem and i did that all
    an error message 1079
    the account specified for this service is different fro the account speciefied for other services running in the same process

5. Elyes
    said this on Wednesday, May 8th 2013 1:40 pm

thats worked for me, thanks a lot

6. gladston
    said this on Friday, December 14th 2012 1:18 am

i did all that and i even re-install the driver every thing there is and still so audio . it shows that the volume is 0 but when i click to access the volume controller it does not come up and when i right click and go in volume mixer it says no audio device installed. i dont know what else to do and also the audio service is set to automatic a is started and still no audio