Incorrect Taskbar group icon assigned for an applicationPublished: Aug 12, 2004
Updated : July 04, 2006
Send your feedback
When you click to select the Group similar taskbar buttons check box to display taskbar buttons for files that a program opens in the same area of the taskbar, the grouped taskbar buttons may have incorrect icons for a specific program. Instead, all the grouped taskbar buttons for the program use the same icon.
If you've not installed Service Pack 2, is visit the following page to know how to obtain a Hotfix to solve the problem.
As per the above article, this problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. Upgrading to SP2 is the best option.
You can customize the Taskbar group icon on a per-application basis. Here is an example, which shows how to change the taskbar group icon for Internet Explorer. Before proceeding, it's advisable to backup the registry.
- Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT.EXE
- Navigate to the following path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Classes \ Applications \ IEXPLORE.EXE
(If the above key does not exist, you need to create one)
- In the right-pane, create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named TaskbarGroupIcon.
- Double-click TaskbarGroupIcon and set its data as follows:
- To specify a different icon, mention the corresponding icon index. (See example below)
(If the icon index is not mentioned, Windows will automatically take the 0th icon.)
- Close REGEDIT.EXE