Move the Task Scheduler Log file to a different folderPublished: June 05, 2005
Send your feedback
Scheduled Tasks - Log file
The log file for Scheduled Tasks is stored in the Windows folder, where it is used to record the activity of scheduled tasks. You can use the log file to determine why a task might have stopped, or to check on the status of a task.
Changing the log file location
The Log file path can be altered in the registry, if you want the log to be maintained in a different folder or drive. To do so, perform this:
- Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
- Navigate to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ SchedulingAgent
- Backup the key to a file.
- Double-click the LogPath value in the right-pane
- Type the full path and file name. For example:D:\Logs\SchedLgU.Txt
- Close Regedit.exe
Then, re-start the Task Scheduler service using these two commands.
- Click Start, Run and type CMD
- Type these commands one by one and press Enter
NET STOP SCHEDULE
Now, move the SchedLgU.txt file from %Systemroot% to the new location, if you want to preserve the old file and entries.
NET START SCHEDULE