Restore missing User account pictures and the default WallpapersPublished: Nov 25, 2005
Send your feedback
If some of the user account pictures and the default wallpaper images that ship with Windows XP are missing, you may use the information in this article to restore them back.
- Click Start, Run and type %Windir%\INF
- Locate the shl_img.inf file. The file may be shown as shl_img, if you have configured Windows Explorer to hide known file extensions. To see the file extensions for all file types, then try this:
- On the Tools menu in My Computer, click Folder Options.
- Click the View tab.
- Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
- Right-click the shl_img.inf file, and then click Install
- Windows will now attempt to restore the missing picture files, and may prompt you for the Windows installation source path. Point to %Windir%\i386 folder, or insert your Windows XP CD.