Error 1606: Could not access network locationPublished: Sep 20, 2005
Send your feedback
When you attempt to install an application which uses Windows Installer, you may encounter the following error:
Error 1606 Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\RECENT\
This may happen due to incorrect registry value type for Recent, in the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders
- Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
- Navigate to the above location
- In the right-pane, double-click Recent and set its data to:
Important: The Value type must be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type. If it is of REG_SZ type, delete the value, and then create a new value of the correct type.
- Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.
Inspect the other shell folder paths
If the same error occurs for a different folder, then inspect the registry values as suggested in the following pages:
- Reset the path for special folders using the Folder Redirector utility
- You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program
- Reset the Shell Folders paths to defaults