Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM, HTML and MHT filesPublished: June 24, 2004
Updated : Nov 06, 2006
Send your feedback
The HTM, HTML or MHT files are displayed with a standard icon rather than the Internet Explorer "e" icon.
Set the HTM / HTML icons
- Click Start, Run and type CONTROL FOLDERS
- Select the File Types tab
- Scroll down the list and select the HTM file type
- Click Advanced button, and then click Change Icon
- Type in the file name %Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
- Select the 2nd icon (Icon index number is 1) from the list
- Click OK, OK, and OK to close the dialog
Set the MHT / MHTML icons
- Similarly, select the MHT file type from the list, and then choose the last icon in IExplorer.exe file. This is the default icon for MHT / MHTML files.
Still does not help?
Download htmliconfix.zip from the following URL, and unzip the archive. Double-click htmliconfix.exe to run it.
HTMLIconFix v1.0 for Windows® XP
Download htmliconfix.zip (12 KB)
(Contains htmliconfix.exe and readme.txt files)
Note that this fix sets Internet Explorer as the default handler for .HTM and other file types. This utility has been tested under Internet Explorer versions 6 and 7.