Add or Remove Programs applet displays incorrect icon for an applicationPublished: June 2004
Send your feedback
When you open the Add/Remove Programs applet, one or more application entries might have incorrect icons associated with them. This happens if the DisplayIcon registry value is missing or incorrect.
In the above example, you can see that an incorrect icon being assigned for AOL Instant Messenger.
To restore it's own icon there, follow these steps:
- Click Start, Run and type regedit.exe
- Navigate to the following branch:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ AOL Instant Messenger
- In the right pane, create a string value (REG_SZ) named DisplayIcon
- Double-click DisplayIcon and type the full path of AOL IM's executable, for the Value Data. The default path is C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
- Close and re-open Add or Remove Programs applet and you'll see that the icon for AOL IM has changed.