This article lists two methods with which you can register Mozilla Firefox Portable Edition with Default Apps or Default Programs in Windows Vista through Windows 10/11.
Register Firefox Portable with Default Apps
Method 1: Using a VBScript
- Download the script firefoxportable.vbs.
- Save the script to the same folder as
FirefoxPortable.exe. It’s an important step.
- To add/register Firefox Portable with Default Apps or Default Programs, double-click
- In the input box, type
REGISTER, and click OK.
That’s it! Firefox Portable is now listed on Default Apps
ApplicationName value data in line
120 of the VBScript.
Method 2: Using a standalone utility
This method was originally written for Windows Vista but works on all versions of Windows. However, you need to install the legacy version of .Net Framework on Windows 10/11 for this program to work.
- Download registerfp.zip and save it to Desktop.
- Unzip the archive and extract the contents to a folder.
- Double-click the file
RegisterFirefoxPortable.exeto run it.
- When you see the User Account Control dialog, click Allow.
- Click the Browse button and locate the Firefox Portable executable
- Click Register
Firefox Portable is now registered with the Default Programs applet.
As you can see, “Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition” entry is now listed on the Default Apps page in Windows 10 Settings. You’ll need to manually click on the web browsers entry in Default Apps and select “Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition” to set it as default.
Editor’s note: If the drive letter for your removable device (which contains Firefox Portable) changes, you’ll need to re-register the program using the above script or utility.