When you try to enable Internet Connection Sharing in your Windows 7 computer via your network connection properties, one of the following errors may occur:
To resolve the problem, make sure that the following services are started and running:
- Base Filtering Engine (Automatic)
- Network Connections (Manual)
- Remote Access Connection Manager (Manual)
- Windows Management Instrumentation (Automatic)
- Windows Firewall (Automatic)
In order for ICS to work Windows Firewall service needs to be enabled, although Windows Firewall isn’t listed as one of ICS dependencies.
To enable a service, launch Services MMC (Services.msc). Double-click a service, set the service start type accordingly as above, and click Start to start the service. Installing a third-party firewall software disables the Windows Firewall service. In order for ICS to work, you’ll have to enable/start the Windows Firewall service again.