Q: The speaker icon in the Notification area has a red cross on it. When I hover my mouse over it, it says The audio service is not running. When I right click on the it I get 3 options (Playback devices, Recording devices, Sounds) There is also an open volume mixer option but it’s greyed out.
1. Click Start, type Services.msc in the Start Search box.
2. Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Audio and select Start.
3. Select Properties for Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to Automatic.
If the Windows Audio service does not start and you get the error Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start, then make sure that the following services are started and their Startup Type is set to Automatic.
- Plug and Play
- Multimedia Class Scheduler
- Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and he has been a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) for 10 consecutive years from 2003 to 2012.