With the Windows 10 Creators Update Insider Preview Build 14971, Microsoft Edge gets EPUB viewing capability. EPUB files are e-books with a .epub extension, and can be used in various types of devices. EPUBs are zip containers which enclose document (content), stylesheet and other metadata.
Note: Information in this article does not apply to the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium). It’s applicable to the old Microsoft Edge browser only.
Edge gets EPUB Support
Microsoft Edge will open .epub file types by default in the Creator’s Update, and provides the following controls and options in its eBook reader interface.
- Table of Contents [Ctrl + Shift + C]
- Add Bookmark [Ctrl + Shift + M]
- Search [Ctrl + F]
- Increase font size [Ctrl + plus]
- Reduce font size [Ctrl + minus]
- Change the font style to one of the following stock options:
- Book’s default (Times New Roman)
- Classic (Sitka Text)
- Reading efficiency (Verdana)
- Pure (Segoe UI)
- News (Georgia)
- Friendly (Candara)
- Choose a theme – Light, Sepia or Dark
A horizontal scroll bar at the bottom is to switch pages quickly. Page titles show up as you scroll. Clicking anywhere on the document turns on or off these controls.
I’ve also explained how and where Microsoft Edge stores the EPUB Bookmarks and last visited page number or position settings, and how to clear them for individual EPUB files or for all. You’d like to read article How to Delete Microsoft Edge EPUB Bookmarks for all eBooks?
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!