The built-in Calculator app is a UWP (modern) app in Windows 10 and 11. This post tells you how to fix the Windows modern Calculator app when it fails to open or crashes a moment after opening.
Step 1: Reset Windows Calculator
- Open Settings, and click Apps
- Click Apps & features.
- Find the Calculator entry on the right pane and select it.
- Click on the “Advanced options” link that appears.
- Click on the Reset button to reset Calculator to default settings.
- Click on the Repair button.
Also, check out the article: How to Reset or Repair a Windows 10/11 App When it Fails to Work?
Step 2: Uninstall and Reinstall Calculator
If resetting and repairing the Calculator and allowing it internet access still doesn’t help, then it’s time to uninstall the app and get it reinstalled from Microsoft Store. Follow these steps:
- Start PowerShell and run this command:
get-appxpackage *WindowsCalculator* |Remove-AppxPackage
- This uninstalls Windows 10/11 Calculator.
- Next, open Microsoft Store and install the “Windows Calculator” (by Microsoft Corporation) app. For your convenience, here is the Calculator store app URL.
Step 3: Start the Windows License Manager Service
If the License Manager is not running, most of the Store apps (Universal Web Apps) don’t work. To start the License Manager service, use these steps:
- Launch the Services MMC (
- Double-click Windows License Manager Service
- Set its startup type to Manual
- Click Start to start the service.
- Click OK and close the Services MMC.
Step 4: Firewall Configuration – Allow access to Calculator
Windows Firewall, by default, allows internet access to Windows 10 Calculator. The Calculator app fetches currency status from the web to do the conversion (Yes, it does have the currency converter feature.) and hence needs internet access.
If using a 3rd party firewall software, create a rule that allows Calculator to access the internet.
Get the Old (Classic) Calculator
If you want to old desktop/classic/win32 Calculator program back in Windows 10, then check out the article Get Old Classic Calculator in Windows 10/11. Nothing beats the good old classic desktop programs.
I hope this post helped you fix problems with the Windows 10/11 Calculator app. Let’s know your comments!
One small request: If you liked this post, please share this?One "tiny" share from you would seriously help a lot with the growth of this blog. Some great suggestions:
- Pin it!
- Share it to your favorite blog + Facebook, Reddit
- Tweet it!