When you use the Windows Store app to download an app such as (Netflix, Instagram etc), the error “Something bad happened” may occur. Here is the complete error message verbatim:
Unknown layout specified in manifest
Solution 1: Fix the Regional Settings
It’s possible that your regional settings are incorrect. For instance, you may have the region set for a different country where you holidayed earlier, and have forgot to update the setting after returning to your home country.
1. Open Settings (WinKey + i)
2. Click Time & Language
3. Select Region & Language from options on left
4. Verify your Country/Region is correct from drop down list
5. Ensure the appropriate Language Pack is installed. If it’s in the state of being “available”, click Download and let the system install it from Microsoft servers.
Fixing the Regional Settings worked for some users. If that doesn’t do it, follow the next procedure.
Solution 2. Reset the Windows Store
1. Close Windows Store if it’s running
2. Open Settings (WinKey + i)
3. Click Apps (Apps & features)
4. Scroll down and select “Store”
5. Click Advanced Options
6. In the next page, click the Reset button.
This resets Windows Store app.
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and has a vast experience in the ITeS industry — delivering support for Microsoft's consumer products. He has been a Microsoft MVP [2003 to 2012] who contributes to various Windows support forums.