When you run the System File Checker using the /Scannow parameter from an elevated Command Prompt, the following error may occur. Additionally, you may experience problems running Windows Installer Setup files and installing fixes from Windows Update.

Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service

This happens if the TrustedInstaller (Windows Modules Installer) service is disabled. Use these steps to reset the service startup type.

1. Click Start, type Services.msc

2. Double-click Windows Modules Installer

3. Set its Startup type to Manual

4. Click OK.

The TrustedInstaller service has full access to Windows Resource Protection (WRP) files and registry keys, and this services needs to be running in order to restore missing or corrupted WRP resources. The TrustedInstaller service starts on-demand when running the System File Checker.

1. Frackles
    said this on Monday, November 10th 2014 9:10 am

FUCK YEAH! I can finally do the cmd > sfc/scannow FINALLY! ty

2. John
    said this on Saturday, November 8th 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks, this worked for me (windows 7 32bit)

3. anthony
    said this on Friday, August 8th 2014 11:34 am

It worked thanks but now I got “There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete” :)

4. Shell Kanzer
    said this on Thursday, July 3rd 2014 8:20 pm

error 126: windows modules installer could not be found.
    I cannot install updates
    win 7 64X NO SERVICE PACK 1
    3 YEARS, NO UPDATES

5. Benzu
    said this on Thursday, April 17th 2014 4:44 am

Awesome, I was able to use the SFC /scannow and it repaired it

6. H. MacKessack
    said this on Friday, March 7th 2014 7:29 pm

No, that did not help. My TrustedInstaller was set to Manual anyway, so that is not the problem

7. Bill
    said this on Wednesday, November 6th 2013 1:22 am

You made my day. Thanks!

8. michael
    said this on Wednesday, July 24th 2013 9:32 pm

I had the same problem today while searching the web I found a solution go to start, insert the word services then press enter, then it will give you a list of all the services that have been disabled, stop, or are running, you click the desire services you wish to enable and the proceed to put instead of disable, automatic start, you should read carefully all the processes and services you wish to automatically start because it can clogged or slow your computer. If you dont know what services to start click automatic to all. Then do a restart, it should automatically start with internet and audio options functioning. The sfc, the windows registry, the diagnostic service, the trusted services and the shalow service are all there.

9. mike
    said this on Thursday, June 6th 2013 3:37 am

I have a question on how to access services.msc from the command prompt to reset the Windows Resource Protection. I have the black screen of death on windows vista and have only access through the command prompt from my operating system disc (outside of windows). I want to try to do a sfc/scan but wont start. I have an nvvsvc.exe error that caused the bsod, I pulled the graphics card and I am running the video through the mother board. still in bsod. the system wont boot in to any mode. only access is through the operating system disc. I tried to upgrade vista in place but it tells me I am outside of windows so I cant load windows that way. tired of the technicians telling me to click the start button on a black screen of death. thanks

10. raad
    said this on Thursday, May 30th 2013 9:54 am

Hi – when i want to change it to “mannual” under general it is greyed out at automatic. can you please tell me how i can change it to “mannual”