When you open a .PPS or .PPT file that came as a mail attachment in Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail, you may see the Open / Cancel dialog box. When you select Open, the following error may be displayed. This may happen even though you have PowerPoint Viewer 2003 or 2007 installed. However, the same file may open correctly when saved to disk, and then viewed. Note that this problem does not occur if you have Microsoft Office or PowerPoint installed.

[Error Message]

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel.

This error occurs if the Open command is missing for .PPS and/or .PPT file types. To resolve the problem, follow these steps:

Note: This article is applicable for Windows Vista or Windows 7 PCs, with PowerPoint Viewer (2003 or 2007) installed. For a Windows XP version of this article, see article Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Outlook Express?

For .PPS files (Microsoft PowerPoint Slideshow)

1. Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER

2. Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.11 \ shell \ Show

3. Right-click Show and click Rename

4. Type the word Open so that Show is replaced by Open

5. If you have PowerPoint Viewer 2007 installed, repeat the above steps in this key, as well:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.SlideShow.12 \ shell \ Show

6. After changing Show to Open, close Registry Editor window.

For .PPT files (Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation)

1. Click Start, type regedit.exe and press ENTER

2. Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.Show.11 \ shell \ Show

3. Right-click Show and click Rename

4. Type the word Open so that Show is replaced by Open command

5. If you have PowerPoint Viewer 2007 installed, repeat the above steps in this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ PowerPointViewer.Show.12 \ shell \ Show

6. After changing Show to Open, close Registry Editor window.

Screenshot

(Fig 1) Show is renamed to Open

1. Andreas
    said this on Tuesday, August 13th 2013 12:34 am

Hi,
    thank you for your advice for ppt files. It works fine :-)
    Do you have any idea what to do to open jpg files?
    I find our that the windows photo gallery.exe is the program responsible for jpg files from windows mail.
    Any suggestion for Vista?

Best regards
    Andreas

2. Bob Stuurman
    said this on Saturday, June 1st 2013 4:30 pm

This is what I did in Windows 7
    I found out that for PPS-attachment to open by double clicking in windows explorer you need the command “Show” and for attachments to open by double clicking in WindowsMail you need the command “Open”.
    When you change “Show” in “Open” the the PPS can be opened in WindowsMail but no more in explorer.
    The easiest way to remedy this is by renaming the “Print” command to “Open” and removing /p from the commandstring for the formerly print command.
    I hope this will be of use to all concerned.

3. k.lapinska
    said this on Friday, February 15th 2013 5:13 am

thank you, it worked for me at first time, easy instruction to follow

4. Alex Goh
    said this on Tuesday, January 1st 2013 8:34 am

I downloaded the Apache OpenOffice v.3.4.1, installedl it and set it as the default program to open pps/ppt files and it worked..

5. Gary
    said this on Saturday, November 24th 2012 10:49 pm

These are the things I tried with no luck:
    • Installing Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003. I also tried installing later versions as well.
    • Right clicking on the actual file and going to properties /general /opens with /change, but PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer did not appear on the list.
    • Clicking the Start button and going to Default programs/set your default programs, but PowerPoint or PowerPoint Viewer did not appear on the list.
    • Clicking the Start button and going to Default programs /associate a file type or protocol with a program, but the file extension PPS did not appear on the list.
    • Going into the registry and making these changes (Changed SHOW to OPEN):

This is what finally worked for me.
    • With Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 still installed on my PC, right clicked on an actual PPS file and then used Properties /general /opens with /change /browse /computer /C: /program files(x86) /Microsoft Office /OFFICE11 /PPTView.exe and then clicked the Open button. Just to be safe I rebooted my PC.

All PPS files now open with a double click whether they’re saved in the PC or attached to a Windows Live Mail Email message.
    I am using Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft Office 2003

6. said this on Tuesday, September 4th 2012 10:10 am

I have done the regedit accordingly..but when I tried to open the pps file again I get this message-
    “usage:
    /extract:path, extracts the contents of the package to the path folder
    /quiet, runs the package in silent mode
    /?shows this help message” – makes no sense to me..please advise..

7. said this on Friday, June 29th 2012 8:56 pm

From me, too. Thanks a million for posting this. I would have never figured it out.