If you find that the Search box is missing from your Windows 7 Start menu, it means that the search component is disabled by an administrator in your system, or may be disabled by default in your Windows 7 installation. Here is how to enable the Start menu Search feature in Windows 7.

Press WinKey + R to bring up the Run dialog, type OptionalFeatures.exe and press {ENTER}

Enable Windows Search checkbox, click OK.

Restart Windows.

Additional Information

(From What happens if I turn off Windows Search?)

1. All the search boxes in Windows will disappear, including the search boxes in Windows Explorer, the Start menu, Control Panel, the Documents library, and other libraries.
  2. Programs that rely on Windows Search might not function properly.
  3. Internet Explorer won’t have enhanced search capabilities.
  4. Tablet PC handwriting recognition won’t work.
  5. Windows Media Center won’t have enhanced search capability.
  6. You’ll no longer be able to arrange your library views by metadata, and your column headers will only sort items, not stack or group them.
  7. Options that affect Windows Search functionality will be removed, including indexing in Control Panel and the Search tab in Folder Options.
  8. Windows will no longer recognize these search-based file types: search-ms, searchconnector-ms, and osdx.

1. Mazullah Khan
    said this on Tuesday, May 27th 2014 9:15 am

in the Windows feature it has already been ticked but there is still no search box in window explorer and start menu as well,
    Please guide i have installed my windows several times from different DVDs but this problem is still exist,

2. Khalid Hussain
    said this on Sunday, December 1st 2013 11:38 pm

Thank you very much for the simple and straight forward instructions. I very much appreciate the guidance I got and managed to restore my lost search and other windows assets that were deleted for efficiency once but could never be restored for instructions were baffling at other places!

3. James Lee
    said this on Sunday, June 2nd 2013 3:54 pm

My windows Search in already on but the Start Menu search and search bar/box are still not working. Can you please help me?
    Thanks

4. Rey
    said this on Tuesday, February 5th 2013 1:36 am

After 2 years, My search bar in start menu is now working..thanks so much for sharing the solution.

5. Marcus
    said this on Friday, January 25th 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks. turned this off following another tutorial and couldnt get it back.

6. said this on Saturday, November 12th 2011 1:03 pm

@Richard: Thanks for the heads up. Please use the Run dialog instead. Must’ve been a little bit careless when writing the article :)

7. said this on Thursday, November 10th 2011 1:57 pm

How the heck is anyone meant to do the following. If they are hear trying to get the serach retored as broken they cant type OptionFeatures.exe in the search start menu field. ITS MISSIN
    Come on guys your better than this!?

8. Josuemental
    said this on Wednesday, October 26th 2011 6:18 pm

I have the feature on but no search bar/box in start menu, I’m missing the Windows Search service, what do I do, how do I install it? thanks