When you click the Read Mail button in the Command Bar in Internet Explorer, nothing may happen. The Read Mail button is supposed to launch the default mail client, and this problem occurs if the default mail client is not correctly set. Follow these steps to resolve the problem.
Instructions for Windows XP
1. Right-click on the Taskbar and click Properties
2. Select the Start Menu tab
3. Select the Start menu option, and click Customize…
4. Click the E-mail drop down box and select your mail client.
Important: If your mail client is already showing up as the default option, you still need to click the drop down menu and select the item. Otherwise the setting will not be saved correctly!
5. Click OK.
Note: You need to login as Administrator or equivalent to perform the following steps.
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click the Tools menu and choose Internet Options
3. Click Programs tab
4. Select your mail client from the drop down box.
5. Click OK to close the dialog.
Instructions for Windows Vista
1. Click Start, select Default Programs
2. Click Set your default programs
3. Select your mail client from the list
4. Click Set this program as default, and click OK.
About the author
Ramesh Srinivasan founded Winhelponline.com back in 2005. He is passionate about Microsoft technologies and has a vast experience in the ITeS industry — delivering support for Microsoft's consumer products. He has been a Microsoft MVP [2003 to 2012] who contributes to various Windows support forums.