Outlook 2003 Not Listed in Default Programs

When you click Start – Default Programs – Set Your Default Programs, Outlook 2003 entry may be missing from the Programs list even though it is installed in the system. As a result, you may be unable to set Outlook 2003 as the default e-mail client.

To restore Microsoft Outlook 2003 to the Default Programs list in Windows Vista, use one of the following methods:

Method 1 – Repair your Outlook installation

1. Start Microsoft Outlook

2. From the Help menu, click Detect and Repair

3. Insert your Office/Outlook installation media when prompted.

If the above does not work, you might want to use the tool discussed in Method 2 below.

Method 2 – Run the OL2003fix tool

Download the file OL2003Fix. Unzip and extract the contents to a folder. Double-click the file OL2003fix.exe. This tool should repair Outlook 2003 registration in the system.

1. Alan
    said this on Monday, January 27th 2014 3:18 am

The Detect and Repair method worked for me.

Thanks
    Alan

I love the Internet

2. Steve
    said this on Thursday, March 7th 2013 3:48 am

WORKED WITH WINDOWS 7 – 3/5/2013

3. Paul Walker
    said this on Saturday, January 7th 2012 5:05 pm

Ramesh,

I have Outlook installed in D:/Microsoft Office/Office 11/

I ran the fix changing the the Server to install mode but the software reports it is unable to locate outlook.exe.

Paul,

4. Paul Walker
    said this on Saturday, January 7th 2012 4:27 pm

Ramesh,

Can I ask you to eith post or email what registry keys are affected by this tool. I have the issue but it is on a Citrix Server installation on Win 2008 Standard server 32bit OS. I need to backup the keys in case the fix does not work.

Paul,

5. Win007
    said this on Tuesday, September 20th 2011 11:57 am

the OL2003fix tool worked perfect……. now found outlook in list of programs, set as default

6. said this on Sunday, September 11th 2011 8:49 am

@niced00d: It’s a false-positive. Some AV programs report so, if the exe is compressed using UPX. BTW I wrote the program.