Recently one of our readers faced a problem with Windows 7 Backup and Restore after installing and then uninstalling Acronis True Image. When the user double-clicked the Backup and Restore item in the Control Panel, nothing happened except for a brief hour glass.

Supposedly, the user had enabled the Windows integration feature in Acronis True Image software, which in turn replaced the Windows 7 Backup utility by modifying the Backup and Restore shell folder registry keys. And uninstalling Acronis True Image did not revert back the original shell folder values for Backup and Restore, causing it inoperable. Running the file "C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe" manually did not launch the Backup utility either.

(Screenshot from Acronis sources.)

Fixing the Backup and Restore Registry Keys

1. Click Start, type Regedit.exe and press ENTER:

2. Go to the following branch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ CLSID \ {B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD}

3. Right-click on the key and choose Permissions…

(The above registry key and sub keys are owned by TrustedInstaller by default, and you may have to take ownership of the keys in order to restore the default values. ResourceDLL and ResourceID seems to be the two values that Acronis True Image modifies in order to integrate with the shell.)

4. Click Advanced, and select the Owner tab.

5. Look at the Current owner information. If TrustedInstaller is currently the owner of the key, select Administrators from the list below, select Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, and then click OK.

6. Select Administrators, allow Full Control permission and click OK.

7. Run the Windows 7 Backup Restore – Shell Folder Registry Fix. Download Fix-W7BackupKeys.zip, unzip and run the REG file.

You’ve fixed the Windows 7 Backup shell folder key. Next, restore TrustedInstaller back as the owner of the above registry key, and revoke Full Control permission for the Administrators group.

Reinstate TrustedInstaller as the Owner

8. Right-click on the {B98A2BEA-7D42-4558-8BD1-832F41BAC6FD} key and choose Permissions…Click Advanced, and select the Owner tab.

9. Click Advanced, and select the Owner tab.

10. Click Other users or groups… button

11. Type NT Service\TrustedInstaller in the text box, and click OK. This adds TrustedInstaller group to the listing.

12. With TrustedInstaller selected, select Replace owner on subcontainers and objects, and then click OK.

13. Select Administrators, uncheck Full Control and click OK.

Editor’s note: The Windows 7 Backup issue discussed in this article is not to be confused with another similar sounding Windows 7 Backup problem ("Set up backup" or click "Change settings" links within the Backup and Restore applet non-functional, which is a third-party shell extension saga.)

1. megatek
    said this on Saturday, January 25th 2014 6:04 pm

Wow, I’m astounded Acronis would leave so many with crippled registries! Ironically I had Acronis in my shopping cart on another web page. That was until I decided to double check Win backup and discovered it would not work due to a previous acronis trial. Great job on this help article and to Glock & LeeN341 for the additional key change info to get this to work. Acronis should be deeply ashamed.

2. Ranjit
    said this on Friday, January 10th 2014 1:54 pm

I feel this is too cumbersome solution and will not work in some cases since OS is ‘On’. A simpler solution is Run: “Windows\system32\services.msc” (alternately open control panel click on Administrative Tools) and then click on Services) go to the “Windows Backup” almost at the bottom it would be showing “Disabled” click on that service and change the Startup type to Automatic. close this window. And now you can start the service. And backup would be up and running.

3. B Livon
    said this on Thursday, October 31st 2013 6:22 pm

It doesn’t work. I get a pop-up saying: Can’t import…. some keys are used by the system or other processes.

4. Ehsan Abidi Ashtiani
    said this on Friday, September 27th 2013 9:41 pm

I was`t able to bypass the permission blockage with your guide.

but I read some where else that the information of “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT” hive is coming from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes) .
    here I use your guide , and the permission removal was successful on this Key , and I Succeed.

5. EJB
    said this on Sunday, June 30th 2013 8:07 pm

This fixed my problem – was about to wipe and do a clean install when I found this post — It worked and saved me a ton of time in having to do a clean install…

6. Gabbi
    said this on Thursday, May 23rd 2013 12:36 pm

Brilliant – worked a treat, exactly as outlined! Thank you.

7. said this on Wednesday, January 16th 2013 10:30 pm

I forgot to mention: because backup/restore was broken, I used:

- I didn’t have a recovery disc for this system, and you need backup/restore working to create one.
    - I tried a second Win7 Thinkpad to create a recovery disc, but it didn’t have a CD Drive in the machine, and Win7 Pro doesn’t allow you to build a bootable USB media instead.
    - I had squirreled away a Win7x64Pro.iso, and burned that.

My backup was a bit old, and no way to create a new one.
    Instead, I used the commannd line tool: wbadmin
    Be careful … the available flags on this command are different from the ones documented on the wbadmin article on MSDN. -SystemState is not allowed.

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:W: -include:C:,D: -allCritical -noVerify -vssCopy -quiet

W: is a USB drive.

I was concerned about two things:
    1. Is this backup equivalent to the one created by backup/restore?
    2. Will the recovery media disc allow this backup format in a full restore

I haven’t tried yet. This whole exercise was triggered by an upgrade to a Samsung 500GB SSD drive. I cloned the drive using the “Data Kit” which consists of a USB/eSata connector and the Apricorn EZ Gig IV software.

On a separate Win8 machine, the cloned drive was not recognized.
    I suspect it’s because of EFI and Rapid Load technology.

On the Win7 machine, it worked … booted … and I got this message about Win7 not being registered in DNS. Ok, probably triggered Re-Validation because of the disk change.

Nope, it’s much worse than that. All of my registered software on Win7 suddenly became Un-Registered, and failed to launch or produced “Trial” backgrounds on output.

I want to let the company that built Win7 (Microsoft) do the job of migration.
    I do not need migration to other architectures that Acronis provides.

Now that backup/restore is working again on my original disk, I’ll perform a “system image”, drop in my SSD drive, boot from Recovery Disc, and completely restore the image.

Thank you, thank you Ramesh. A true professional.

8. said this on Wednesday, January 16th 2013 10:12 pm

Weeks looking for a resolution to this. Even after eventually finding the errant registry key, the Acronis site was no help.

Win7 Pro, Acronis 2011

It would help to edit the instructions and add the trick about removing the restrictions on the key.

Only thing left is how to change ownership back to TrustedInstaller.
    That’s not given as an option in regedit/advanced/Ownership.

Not worth worrying about. Full Control is removed for everything but TrustedInstaller.

Thank you. I will definitely return to this expert site again … and again.

9. Glock
    said this on Monday, November 12th 2012 9:06 pm

Oh my!
    This worked an ABSOLUTE treat !!!

Thanks so so so very much for this, I couldn’t believe it when this happened to me. I did an in-place upgrade as my previous was getting a bit bloated. As such I uninstalled Acronis, and voilĂ  – same problem!

This fixed it, and works a charm, took me less than 10 minutes to do after hours of working things out.
    I’ve had a very similar situation before and ended up wiping and reinstalling.
    Cheers for this, that’s champion!!

For those having reg.exe issues re; “Keys open” follow LeeN341′s advice and do the following;

Found the \Instance\InitPropertyBag was set to Acronis and restricted; removed restriction and the Fix-W7BackupKeys.reg worked.

To edit the permissions do this;

Select “Edit,” then select “Permissions” in the main menu.

Select a user group.

Set read, full control and special permissions to “Allow” in the permissions area.

Repeat this process with remaining groups as desired and remember, when you later adjust the permissions in this guide, the permissions will be restored anyway.

Excellent and saved me wiping and reinstalling. Can’t believe it.
    Cheers Glock