Fix Services MMC Extended View Is Blank in Windows XP

The Extended view of Services Management Console (services.msc) displays the service description and also has links to Start or Stop services. In some systems, the Extended view may appear blank, as in figure below:

This has to do with broken JScript.dll registration. To fix this problem, login as Administrator or equivalent, and then run the following command from Start, Run dialog:

regsvr32.exe  jscript.dll

Press {ENTER}

You should see the output message "DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded."

This fixes the Extended view. Close and re-open Services MMC.

1. Emiliano
    said this on Wednesday, June 8th 2011 3:34 pm

For me, it worked!

2. Mike
    said this on Saturday, May 21st 2011 2:32 am

I tried regsvr32.exe jscript.dll, I tried installing the 5.7 javascript, I did the IE,
    advanced tab, reset, I’ve done a Windows XP Pro SP2 repair reinstall, I’ve installed SP3 – nothing has worked.

3. SESIMS
    said this on Monday, March 21st 2011 9:55 pm

Oddly, neither fix mentioned here worked to fix the blank extended tab on services for me (on WinXP).

4. said this on Tuesday, January 18th 2011 5:19 am

I had this problem too, but re-registering JScript.dll did not fix it. I found elsewhere that reseting Internet Explorer helps and it worked.

Go to Internet Explorer options (inetcpl.cpl), Advanced tab, Reset.

5. Kev Carrell
    said this on Monday, January 10th 2011 5:19 am

Error 1058″ error message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service. Applying Article ID: 838428 – Last Review: October 30, 2006 – Revision: 2.4 failed. Extended MMC not visible. regsvr32 exe jscript dll showed ok but still no services in extended tab. system wont allow overwrite of i386 even when drive attached to another xp pc as slave. Access denied to the folder I wanted copy. Have win utilities which show service ok. I have also checked that there is only one MMC running (I think.) only Console 1 with console root window inside. Checked snap in for extended only showing folder not users users Etc, but dont want to start playing with it in case I break it more. Only need to get files off (pics of son and some important docs. Oh and my c.v. ! Bah) Any help gratefully received. Great tip to know tho Ramesh. Thanks. Kev

6. Exch3issue
    said this on Friday, November 19th 2010 6:39 pm

Worked Prefectly!

I had this problem, but before I knew about the services extended tab, I could not launch the Exchange 2007 Setup screens (service pack included) as it came up with an empty filled splash screen. Running this command fixed both. I knew it was java based, but re-installing Java run times did not help either.

“*” for this one.

7. Plecostomus
    said this on Friday, March 5th 2010 11:05 pm

THANKS!

I have been looking for a solution for a while.

8. pavan
    said this on Friday, February 26th 2010 10:32 am

what a solution great job ramesh

9. Steve
    said this on Saturday, December 26th 2009 1:06 pm

Hey,thanks for all the information. Its really well organized and Im finding good tips on more obsucre settings. Great job, thank you again. Steve

10. John Dangerbrooks
    said this on Sunday, November 15th 2009 12:27 am

Well done, Ramesh. I’m impressed.