When you insert a DVD media in the drive, right-click on the drive and choose Play from the context menu, the following error may occur.

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

However, you may be able to play DVD movies via the AutoPlay dialog, or by starting Windows Media Player and using the Play menu. This happens if the DVD/Play association setting is missing or incorrect, or is of incorrect value type. The DVD Play verb is stored in this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\shell\play\command

The value data for the (default) value in the above key is as follows:

Windows 7 64-bit:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:4 /device:DVD "%L"

Windows 7 32-bit:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:4 /device:DVD "%L"

How could this problem occur?

When the above key is missing or its (default) value data is incorrect, the following error occurs when accessing Play from the DVD drive context menu:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.

… so you try to reset Windows Media Player as the default via Default Programs / Set program access and computer defaults…

When resetting the values using Set program access and computer defaults, it does reset the data (unexpanded path), but the value type is incorrectly set as REG_SZ where as it should be REG_EXPAND_SZ. As a result, the following error occurs:

Registry Fix

Download w7-dvd-play.zip, unzip and run the corresponding REG file for your Windows 7 Edition (32-bit or 64-bit.)

1. Brent
    said this on Thursday, April 3rd 2014 4:21 am

Thank you so much just put an older DVD/RW player in my new build with Win 7 and this fixed the problem right away!

2. Dick
    said this on Monday, January 6th 2014 11:40 pm

Fantastic,pages upon pages of search then I find your fix,Thanks very much

3. said this on Thursday, August 15th 2013 9:25 pm

Congratulations! The question of the error at hand, was replied in a concise professional and simple manner. The issue has been resolved for me on my i-7 930 intel machine Win 7 x64 with the enclosed fix.

4. Anna
    said this on Thursday, January 24th 2013 6:18 am

This instantly corrected the problem on my laptop, which occurred after I had downloaded Real Player.
    Thank you soooooo much!

5. Billie
    said this on Monday, December 31st 2012 7:31 pm

Excellent resolution to my problem and yes, it happened following my download of real player. Thanks for your help.

6. Arron
    said this on Friday, November 30th 2012 10:40 pm

now how could i change this for CDs? i think real player caused this lol

7. L.
    said this on Thursday, October 4th 2012 1:54 am

In case anyone was wondering the 32 bit also works for Win xp as well. I just ran it on mine and it worked! THANKS!!!

8. Derek
    said this on Thursday, August 23rd 2012 5:12 am

Thank you! This worked like a charm. Very helpful. I don’t think I would have figured that out on my own… I generally stay away from the registry. Thank you again.

9. Bob
    said this on Sunday, June 24th 2012 10:46 pm

thx and thx again! I worked with this problem for a long time. You solved this problem for me and probably saved me a heart attck too : ). big thx and thumbs up!!!!!!!!!

10. tresh
    said this on Wednesday, May 9th 2012 12:34 pm

i’m writing this because i had that problem with double clikc and getting that error about no assosiations etc.i’m not a pc genius and editing registry could make many more problems for me if i tried,so i serched and serched for a solution and i got your files and thanks to you things are normal again,thank you,you saved me from a big headache.