Adding the "Add to Quick Launch" context menu option in Windows XP
As you may have known, Windows Vista includes the Add to Quick Launch option (seen when you right-click on a file), which adds a shortcut of the file to the Quick Launch folder automatically. This article describes how to implement the Add to Quick Launch feature in Windows XP.
Note: Another way to add a shortcut to Quick Launch is by dragging the file to the Quick Launch area and dropping it. This article is for Windows XP users who wish to have the Add to Quick Launch option in the context menu, as in Windows Vista systems.
Adding the "Add to Quick Launch" feature in Windows XP
- Download AddToQuickLaunch.vbs from the Attachments section of this article, and save it to a permanent location, such as C:\Windows.
- Double-click AddToQuickLaunch.vbs to run it.
- When you see the following screen, type INSTALL and press ENTER
(Fig 1: Configuring AddToQuickLaunch.vbs)
- The Add to Quick Launch option is now added to the context menu (for all files), as displayed below:
- Clicking Add to Quick Launch places a shortcut of the file in the Quick Launch folder
Removing the "Add to Quick Launch" feature
- Run the AddToQuickLaunch.vbs file from the saved location
- When you see the dialog as in Fig 1 above, type UNINSTALL (press ENTER)
- Click OK when the confirmation dialog is displayed
- Delete the AddToQuickLaunch.vbs file